FAQ Halal Certification
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ASK ABOUT LPPOM MUI?
The Assessment Institute for Foods, Drugs and Cosmetics, the Indonesian Council of Ulama or abbreviated as LPPOM MUI is an independent institution under the MUI which is responsible for carrying out the halal inspection process starting from audit until preparing reports before the material is determined by the Fatwa Commission.
Products that can be issued halal certified include food products, medicines, cosmetics, use goods (chemicals, soap, detergents, leather, water filters, etc.), and services that handle these products, such as logistics and retail services.
Halal certificate is valid for 4 years and should be renew (extension) approximately 6 months before the expiration date.
Yes, it is subject to halal certification fees. The fee are include:
- Registration fee, document completeness checking, and issuance of halal certificate (for products circulating in Indonesia)
- Cost of audit
- Cost of fatwa meeting
- Auditor Travel Honor
- Laboratory Analysis
- Surveillance Fee (for product marketed outside Indonesia)
*)The fee is not include local transportation, tickets and accommodation (for overseas audits).
We inform you that importing companies/distributor can register for the halal certification with the following conditions :
- The Halal Assurance System (HAS) Manual is made by the distributor as an applicant of halal certification, which cover the scope of activites in the manufacturers (the producers of the halal-certified product).
- Assurance from the manufacturers (the producers of the halal-certified product) to consistenly implement the Halal Assurance System.
Here we present the 3 stages of the procedure to get the MUI halal decree :
- Understand the HAS (Halal of Assurance System) criteria required in HAS 23000 as evidenced by evidence of competence.
- Implementing a Halal Assurance System and Preparing Registration Documents (detailed information please check the website www.halalmui.org)
- Register for halal certification
Yes, Halal Decree documents (issued based on the audit results by LPPOM MUI) can be accepted by the global market.
During the pandemic, LPPOM MUI did not conduct audits directly on site. Remote auditing is enforced and we call it MOSA (Modified Onsite Audit).
Not. Raw materials other than animal derivatives (except marine animals), flavor, fragrance, seasoning and vitamin premix can be supplemented with other supporting material documents such as specifications, process flow charts, questionnaires, and other supporting documents that explain the origin of the material. In addition, the raw materials that enter the List of Non-Critical Raw Materials do not need to attach supporting documents for the material. A list of Non-Critical Raw Materials can be found on download document menu in Cerol system.
Yes, halal certificate documents from abroad can be used but only those issued by halal institutions recognized by the MUI. Please check the conditions for receiving halal certificates as halal supporters and the List of Halal Certification Institutions (LSH) recognized by MUI at Cerol System.
If it is not listed in the list of halal institutions recognized by the MUI, companies can submit approval for new materials by attaching supporting documents to other materials (process flowcharts, specifications, etc.). However, other documents do not apply to derivative raw materials/animal derivatives/flavor/fragrance (these materials must include halal certificates).
New raw materials to be used for products that have been certified halal must be registered. Request for approval of the use of new raw materials for all material consultations is carried out through CEROL on the " inquiry of raw material approval" menu. The procedure for submitting permission to use new raw materials can be seen in the following user manual that can be downloaded from cerol.
If the material is still not approved, the company can re-submit the application in the same menu and will get a new permit number.
The new raw materials that have previously been approved in the "Inquiry Material Approval" menu are not automatically entered into the ingredients list on the "Registered Material" menu, so the company needs to create a new List of Raw Materials and add new raw material data at CEROL during registration renewal of halal certificates.
Trial raw materials or those used for products that have not been registered with halal certification do not need to get LPPOM MUI approval, including for production scale trials. The company simply ensures that the ingredients are pork free (if using production facilities used for products that are halal certified).
The new raw materials can be registered together with the registration of new products at the development and extension registration (if it will be certified halal).
The company can submit a certificate in the halal certification process: Certificate in Process- SKP (for new applications), Certificate of Extension Process-SKPP (for extension applications) or Halal Certificate-SKH (for products that have passed the fatwa). The submission of the process can be done through CEROL in the "Inquiry SK" menu.
1. Products that are not listed undergo naming changes. The difference between the naming of products listed in the halal certificate and those proposed at this time makes the system not recognize these products as existing products. To bring up these products, please adjust their names to those listed in the halal certificate.
2. Product development can be submitted to the SKP menu.
3. Contains symbols that are not allowed in the CEROL system.